Key West is well known for its great variety of Restaurants and Night Life. We have everything ranging from Fast Food to Chain Restaurants to top of the line Fine Dining. No matter what your Culinary Tastes are there is something for you in Key West. Being one who does not cook well but loves food I eat out most every day. Among my favorite meals is Breakfast. A good Breakfast is the start to a good day. Here are my favorite Breakfast Spots, in order, in Key West.
- Harpoon Harry's, 832 Caroline Street, Key West, FL 33040. Just a basic Diner Style no frills small restaurant with outstanding food, excellent service, vast selections on the menu, daily specials, very reasonable prices and a friendly environment. On most days 90% or more of the patrons are Key West Locals and regulars. The majority of the Servers have been there for years and they know their customers. They usually don't even bring me a menu I am there so much. My personal favorite is the Spinach, Tomato, Feta Cheese Omelet and the Banana Belgian Waffle is a close second. If you like to enjoy a Libation with breakfast Harpoon Harry's Bloody Marys will change your life. If you enjoy them extra hot try a Bloody Harry but you have to really appreciate HOT!!! Put this on your Key West list of places to go.
- Southernmost Beach Cafe at the Southernmost Beach Resort, 1405 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040. Generally speaking I am not big on "Hotel Restaurants" as I feel they are usually second fiddle to the Resort Business but Southernmost Beach Cafe is the exception to this rule. For starters the location location, atmosphere and view can't be beat. You are literally sitting on the beach looking at the Atlantic Ocean. If you time it right you can watch the Cruise Ships coming in for the day. The food is great, the servers always make you feel like your business is appreciated, everyone is friendly and attentive, for a high end restaurant the breakfast is priced very fair for what you get and they make the experience fun. I usually get the Cuban Eggs Benedict. It is like a Traditional Eggs Benedict but they are topped with shredded pork rather than Canadian Bacon under the egg.
- Goldman's Deli, Overseas Market Place, 2796 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040. A small Family Run Restaurant with Big Family Values. Goldman's is very much a Key West Local's Place with that "Cheers Feeling" where everyone knows your name. Outstanding food, servers who make you feel at home, a great menu as well as bagels and cream cheese that is made right there in house, a welcoming setting and low prices. They offer daily specials including a "Coffee of The Day". Here I tend to go with one of the specials of the day but from the regular menu I like the "2-2-2" which is two eggs, two pieces of bacon, two sausage links served with hash browns and toast.
- Camille's Restaurant, 1202 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040. An Artsy kind of Funky little place with a menu as unique as its decor. You never know what you will see hanging on the walls of Camille's but what you do know is you will cnsistantly get good food. There will be anything from Pigs dressed in leather to a Barbie Doll in an 80's miniskirt walking Ken on a dog leash or whipping him to a manikin wearing a studded bustier. They always have good music playing that brings you back 35 years in time while you escape reality. Don't the the novelties fool you though, the breakfast is among the best we have on the Island. The great service compliments the great food making the entire visit an experience you won't forget.
- Sippin Cafe, 424 Eaton Street, Key West, FL 33040. Sippin originally started as an Internet Cafe back before all the hotels offered a house computer or business center fr the guests to use. It was a place to go check your emails and have a coffee. WOW, has it grown. It seems they have added something new to the menu every time I go in and it is always good. The extremely casual friendly environment makes it feel more like a bunch of friends having breakfast at your house than eating in a restaurant. Everyone there makes you feel like you're part of the family. They served Cold Brew Coffee before Cold Brew was cool. The variety of coffee is as big as the variety of food. Sippin is also the only place in Key West to serve Kava which is made right there in house. If you get too wired from the great coffee the Kava will calm you down so you can enjoy the good food. I usually get the Brie and Apricot Omelet which is to die for but honestly I haven't had anything there that wasn't delicious. There is always plenty of parking available on Eaton Street which makes it easy for those of us who live in Key West. One thing there is no shortage on in Key West is great food. There are many restaurants ranging from 200 plus seats to tiny little hole in the wall Mom & Pop places. There are many great places to have breakfast but the ones above are my favorites based on 28 years living on this Island and eating out more than I eat at home. If you find a place you like that I didn't mention please leave it in the comments section. I'm always open to new ideas and experiences.
Gary McAdams, P.A.
The Key West Life
Barbara Anderson Realty